Re: Piston and Cam questions, NOW with HP considerations

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston and Cam questions, NOW with HP considerations
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 08:10:12 -0500
Gerard,

I don't disagree with you, since I have no experience, but I do have a
question that has been lingering for some time now. What about boring .120
over (73.5mm, 1380cc) in accordance with Vizard's recommendation as being
one of the best components for more HP? Or have I misunderstood him? This is
in agreement with your recommendation of increasing breathing, not only in
direct proportion of the larger displacement, but DV also says that a hotter
cam can be used and still be streetable. Has anyone here gone that route and
how do they like the results?

BTW, even at 73.5mm you still have one overbore left at 74mm, if the 73.5mm
bore was offset when it was done.

Regarding the cam, as I understand most of the aftermarket cams out there
are reground stock ones. There may be a few ground from OEM blanks, and
there are some billet ones (made from new steel). However, to have your cam
reground is going to be a custom one-off job, and I can't imagine it would
save any money over buying a production one. Of course, if you have produced
your own design and want to have it ground (like Vizard does) by all means
go ahead.

<dnw>
1972 Midget, blowing smoke
1998 Safari
1999 9-3
1964 (Me)
I enjoy long walks. Especially when they are taken by people who annoy me.