Progress on the Knocking

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Progress on the Knocking
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:11:51 EDT
I don't know whether my last post went through or not--I didn't get a copy in
my box, so I suspect that it didn't.  If I am repeating something you already
received, my apologies--just be satisfied that you are reading great script
twice!!!  LOL

You remember last weekend I sent a post that my 1500 engine was knocking
after a hard downshift?  I appreciate all the input I received from everyone!
 I have followed most of the leads I received here and everything was solid
as far as I could determine.  So I took the car to Gary Lownsdale's (of the
list) and we pulled the engine after Gary meticulously listened to the
running engine and knocking with a mechanic's stethoscope.  He determined the
knocking was coming from BEHIND the #4 cylinder.  We took off the clutch and
lo and behold!!!  the flywheel was LOOSE!!!  The flywheel bolts were so loose
I could turn them easily--I mean like floppy.

Inspecting the flywheel, we found it pretty chewed up around the bolt holes,
and the holes themselves wallowed out.  So to my favorite mechanic's garage
this evening where I bought a used flywheel, 4 bolts, and a new rear seal for
$35.

I plan to have the flywheel resurfaced before installing it next week.  I
will keep the list informed as to the success of this fix.  Thanks again for
all the input!

By the way--this is the 2nd time I have fixed a floppy loose flywheel in this
car in a year and a half.  Wonder why those dim witted engineers didn't put a
lock plate on the 1500 flywheel like the 1275 has?

--David C.