Quarter Panel Beading

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Quarter Panel Beading
From: "Jay Bourgraf" <jaybird@isoc.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:51:25 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi All,
    I'm smack in the middle of restoring the body on my 65' MKIII
Sprite and I've run up against a small dilemma. Both of my rear
quarters are in excellent original condition, with only slight rust at
the bottoms (mouse nests). The rear deck area is also in perfect
shape. But, the beading between the two panels is badly rusted on the
top (both sides).
    How can I get this beading out without trashing a quarter panel?
Is it spot welded or seam welded? I would rather put new beading in.
One guy told me that he ground off his beads then leaded on just the
top of the new beading back on the quarter for cosmetics. I'd rather
fix it right and once. Has anyone been here and had this situation
lately?

Thanks       Jay Bourgraf
"Rust in my eye, cut-n-smashed fingers, weld burns on my arms and I
can't wait to get back down there tomorrow and do it again!"
65' MKIII Sprite