Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:42:36 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 11:10 PM 7/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Phil,
>
>  The carbs can't run over unless the float valves (needle and seat)
>don't stop the flow of fuel into the bowls.  Reasons why they don't stop
>the fuel include: floats don't float because they're porous, needle and
>seat don't seal - dirt, wear, etc., seats aren't tight and fuel is
>leaking around them, fuel pump pressure too high, castings cracked where
>seats screw in, pressure builds in fuel tank due to malfunctioning
>emission controls, resulting in too high pressure at float valves.
>Etcetera ad infinitum.
>
>  Lots of reasons but bad bowl gaskets are not among them.
>
>  CR

Oh.  <sheepish look>  Funny, they didn't start to leak until I did some
work on cleaning the bottom of the float bowls out.  I didn't really do
anything to any of the above, but I did mess up the gaskets.  That's why I
thought this was it.  Quite a list of possible problems.  Seems at minimum,
new float assemblies are in order.  That should cure quite a few of the
problems you suggested.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos