Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 1974 Midget - Carbs Continued
From: Hans Huber <hans@desmodromic.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:37:08 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Phillip,

I'll throw in my two cents here:

If it's backfiring out of the carbs (as opposed to out of
the exhaust), it'll always look white, because it's fuel
mist being spit out there.  Backfiring through the carbs
makes me think it's an intake vacuum lea,k or timing.
Make sure all the carb and manifold nuts & bolts are tight,
and recheck the timing just to be sure.  You can spray WD40
(or pretty much anything) around the edges of the sealing
surfaces (with the engine running) and listen carefully for
any change in the idle speed or backfiring frequency..  When
you hear a significant change, you've found a vacuum leak.

I've found that even ratty old SUs can be made to
work pretty well if everything else is right.  Don't run out
and buy new ones just yet!  Old leaky carbs can make it hard to
get a nice, even, low idle, but otherwise are often fine.

Another thing to try: disconnect and plug the vacuum line
to the distributor - the vacuum canister could be leaking if the
diaphragm is bad, and it's nice to hold the timing fairly
steady when you're chasing vacuum leaks..  Also check the
other connections on the manifold, and the breather hose
from the timing cover to the carbs..

I think your float bowl problem is that the needle valve
(in the float bowl cover) is sticking.  Disconnect the hose
from the fuel inlet, remove the cover, and put an extra piece of
hose on the inlet so you can blow into it.  Hold the cover
right-side up (like it was still on the float bowl) and move
the float up and down while blowing into the inlet.  As you
raise the float, the needle valve should close and stop the
air flow.  If it doesn't, poke at it, prod it, spray it with carb
cleaner, tap lightly on the side with a screwdriver handle,
etc., to try to dislodge any bits of dirt in the needle
valve.  If this still doesn't work, take the needle valve
out, inspect the tip and the seat, and replace it if
necessary.

Fuel shouldn't spill from the float bowl even with a dodgy
gasket (well, maybe just a little), but if the needle valve
isn't working, it will leak out of the first place it
finds..

Good Luck!

-Hans ('58 Bugeye, '62 Lotus 7 (1275, bastard, in progress))