Re: Steering wheels

To: "Spridgets Group" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheels
From: "Mostyn Faulkner" <mostyn_f@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 15:56:22 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Kevin,
It's a novel in length.

Sooooo....... here is what I have done

I started with a an old aftermarket wheel on my 59 sprite. so I at least had
the splined part.  It had an aluminum adapter with three holes in it the
same as the Grant kits..
>From Grant at Pep Boys...
I bought a 5196 GM Billet kit and a signature series wheel  13" by 3" dish.
They have quite a few styles to pick from and can order what ever. The
billet kit is way nicer and shorter than the one that comes with the
steering wheel.  But you have to toss out the leftover parts.
The horn spring thing that grant sells works fine for following the original
sprite dash plastic thing with the brass ring...All things are things...some
things have other names I don't know and I'm not going to look them up cuz
you know what I'm talking about.....
It all bolts together and fits OK... I will work on it some more to make it
prettier.  The splined hub is a bit thick that I had from my old wheel so
the wheel could be a bit less dished for my likes. My arms are a bit long or
my stomach is a bit big I'm not sure. This 59 doesn't fit the same as the 60
I used to own when I was 18 in 1965... It must have shrunk sitting in that
field for 20 years.

Mostyn
AN5L/8625