Brakes

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brakes
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 18:42:13 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ok, here's the progress.

Went down and took a look at the pedal free play.  Looks like I've got
about 1/8" to 3/16" movement in the pedal before brakes start engaging.
This looking down through the open pedal box staring at the pin going to
the fork end of the push rod.  That should be enough, right?  Anway, I
loosened the lock nut and turned my stop light switch about a quarter turn
anti-clockwise as one looks towards the rear of the car.  Tightened the
lock nut back down but this didn't make much of a difference (none that I
could see).  The switch is rectangular and it will be difficult to turn it
any more in this direction as it hits against the body.

However, as I look at the brake pistons I notice they really aren't
protuding that much and the pads are still rubbing too much.  I measured
the distance that the inner piston protrudes from the caliper recess as
1/8" and the outer piston as only 1/16".  That doesn't seem like that much
to me.

So this question.  Could this be as simple as taking out the pads and
filing down the steel back some to make the fit better?  With steel backing
and new pad these new brake pads are pretty thick.  I'd likely squeal at
that point, but....

Maybe another source for the pads to get a better fit?

I'm thankful for all the answers I've gotten so far and think this can't be
that far from being solved.  It seems so simple.  Maybe it's just a matter
of running the darn things in more, but I'm very keen to get the list's
opinion on how far my pistons are protruding.

Thank you all so much.
Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget