Re: keyes & doors

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: keyes & doors
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 12:09:12 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> On a 67, which key is supposed to work in the doors?
> The ignition key or the trunk key?
>
> I lent my car to a friend and he actually locked the doors!!
> I had never really tried that.  The ignition key works in the driver's
> door but not in the passenger door.
>
>     Ulix                                                    __/__,__

Ulix

Most of the time the ignition key works the doors on early Spridgets
(ones with door locks that is) This is provided no one ever replaced the
ignition and/or door locks.
The trunk key only fits the trunk.
All the keys and locks do have #s stamped on them FP *** or FS ***
The door and trunk locks must be removed and the guts taken out to find
the key number. And a key can be made from this number by a competent
lock smith. (Been there a few times)
You can also remove your lock tumbler, inset what ever key you have like
the ignition key, file all tumblers to fit THAT key and use the one key
fits all locks. (been there too on the Mini-3 locks, 3 keys!)\
Of course this would leave the car not quite as secure as original but
then again most screwdrivers start the Sprites anyway!

Locked doors on convertables make for slashed tops.

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs