HELP: strange brake behavior

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP: strange brake behavior
From: Jim Rowan <jimrowan@uic.edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 09:59:09 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
This past weekend the brakes acted up on the Sprite.
The hydraulic system was rebuilt over the winter and up until
now I have had no problems. The car is original drum setup.

Rebuild entailed:
rebuilt MC, new front wheel cylinders, new SS flex lines,
drums turned, and new brake shoes, shoe retractor springs.

Funny behavior exhibited this weekend: The brake pedal
kept getting firmer and firmer until there was little or no travel after
about 10 miles.
The rear brakes were cool while the fronts were hot.
The adjusters are at the lowest/least tension setting.
I popped the bleed nipples. The brakes were fine for about
the same amount of time and then began firming up again by the
time I reached home. I took the wheel/drum off and found that the
wheel cylinders were not all the way retracted. There were out about
1/2 a centimeter. Popped the bleed screw and returned to fully retracted.
I fear it's an MC related problem, possibly a weak spring? I played with
the plunger adjuster at the MC still no improvement.
What else could it be?

Of course this weekend is Healey Fest and I planned to go.
I'm not going to stop every 10 miles to cool the brakes and I don't have a
trailer.
HELP!!

Much TIA,
Jim Rowan