Re: Buying British

To: <b-evans@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Buying British
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 01:34:39 +0100
Cc: <ckotting@iwaynet>, <transerv@sprynet.com>, <MARK_VANDERLINDEN@ey.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Bob,

Many thanks for banging the British drum for our parts suppliers - we and
they appreciate it. However, an important error in your last paragraph
which might get people agitated about 'that g****m British telephone
system. You say

>In calling England, remember that the county code is "44", and that if a
number >is listed with a prefix beginning with "0", overseas callers change
the "0" for a >"1" (e.g., "0123" would be "1123").

Our regional codes are usually five digits e.g. my own is 01608. When
dialling into the UK from another country, the leading zero is dropped
altogether and NOT changed to a 1. Thus the code becomes (44) 1608 and then
the number.

Regards
John Macartney