Re: SU Carb -- Float Leaking

To: Mark van der Linden <MARK.VANDERLINDEN@ey.com>
Subject: Re: SU Carb -- Float Leaking
From: Curtis Carlson <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:10:09 -0700
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On My HS2's, there's a small aluminum deflector immediately under the
fuel line to the rear carb...I think there's one on the front carb too,
but I don't have my car at work today.  Anyway, there's this little
deflector, it's very thin sheet aluminum and is about 1/2" long and
maybe 1/4" wide.  It's bent in a "U" shape and covers the overflow hole
and supposedly deflects the excess fuel out and over the float bowl. It
kinda "clicks" on to the float bowl cover.  If you can see the overflow
hole under the fuel line inlet to the float bowl cover, then the
deflector has already been removed. (Sometimes they fall off).

On mine, I removed the deflector, and inserted a small brass TUBE (I
erroneously said ROD last time) and to this tube, I attached a short
length of small fuel line to carry the overflow fuel away from the
exhaust manifold and out to the bottom of the engine compartment.  That
way, if my float bowl sticks, and the pump keeps pumping, any excess
fuel is shunted away safely and doesn't go on the hot exhaust pipe. You
can get these small brass tubes from any hobby store, they'll also have
some fuel line too....(I also build and fly model airplanes as another
hobby). The nice thing about the brass is that it's soft, malleable, and
doesn't gouge the pot-metal float-bowl cover.

Hope this helps.

Curt
'66 Sprite MkIII "Gerty"