RE: Clonking Progress Report and Questions

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Clonking Progress Report and Questions
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 07:28:41 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phillip -

RE: A-arm bushings as the source of a clunk.  Uh, yeah, it sounds like
that's at least part of the problem.

RE: Kingpins & Wheel bearings.  Even if you don't detect much play right
now, I'd still figure on reworking either the bearings or the kingpins
while you've got the A-arms out (you'll pretty much have them disassembled
that far anyway).  Try the "Wheel Wiggle" test while someone applies the
brakes, that will tell you whether the play is kingpins or wheel bearings.
 No wiggle with brakes on, it's the bearings.

RE: Other mysterious clunks.  Last week, I finally solved my last
mysterious rear-end clunk by (drum roll please) tying down my jack handle
better!  (Don't forget to check the easy stuff.)

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net

On Thursday, May 28, 1998 11:52 PM, Philip Hubbard
[SMTP:phubbard@carroll.com] wrote:
<SNIP>
> Jacked the front end up and rocked the wheels.  Slight, very slight
rocking
> in and out.  Maybe 1/16".  Got under car and continued rocking.  Did not
> see any movement side to side or back and forth in kingpin or really
> =anywhere= else.  I just don't see movement.  I'm guessing this means my
> wheel bearing and kingpins aren't really that bad off.

<SNIP>

> Lastly, of course lastly, I check the bushings up front.  Are A arms just
> the two sides of the wishbone?  I'm trying to get terminology straight
> here.  Anyway, passenger side inner A-arm bushings look kind of ratty.
 So
> does one of the bushings up top (I think I'm looking at the trunnion
> bushings).  Go to the driver's side.  Inner A-arm bushings.  What A-arm
> bushings?!!!!  There are none.  None at all.  There's just a space and
bare
> metal.  Could this be the source of my clunk?  I know I have to install
them.

> My plan is to do the front rubber bushings and also the back.  Maybe do
the
> springs back there, but maybe not.  My car doesn't lean one way or the
> other and the rear end has no sag.
>
> Thanks for reading this far if you made it.   :)  Could those missing
A-arm