Re: Clunking - Suspension (continued)

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Clunking - Suspension (continued)
From: Valentine <valntine@postoffice.ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 23:23:07 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Philip Hubbard wrote:
> Rear:
>
> Here a visual inspection gives me the feeling the springs should be
> replaced.  Whereas the front looks clean and rust free (must have been done
> recently) the rear springs and u-bolts etc look very rusty.  The rubber
> bushings at the rear are very deteriorated also.  Another odd thing.  The
> two springs don't look the same!  Could this be why the car is so jumpy? :)
>  What I mean is this.  The passenger's side is 5 leaves thick at the
> thickest.  In between each of these 5 thick leaves appears to be a very
> thin leaf.  On the driver's side there are no such thin leaves.  Now the
> rear seems easier to replace.  I think I could handle that job.  Any advice
> on what I need to make sure I replace at the same time as the leaves?  I
> would plan on doing the leaves and any rubber bushes.  Do I really need to
> do u-bolts or any of the other parts?

Philip,

I reused the springs and all metal parts that are associated with them.
If the car is not sagging or leaning to one side or the other then the
springs are probably OK. Check them for cracked leaves though.

I just replaced all the bushings in the rear springs on my 74.

Not very difficult at all.  There are 4 bushings at the rear of each
spring and 2 at the u bolts. these are easy.  The bushings that are
situated at the front of each spring (one on each side), are a little
more tricky but not impossible....

They fit very tightly in the spring, (if you purchase new springs they
come with the springs - already installed).  I would suspect that the
bounce or jumpy behaviour of your car is being caused by the bushings.
(Maybe check the shocks as well)

Mine was all over the road, I hit the gas and change 2 lanes!  After
installing ALL the bushings on BOTH sides the car tracks perfectly
straight....

Be careful when doing this and it will be an easy fix,

Jack up the car and set it on blocks or stands in front of the front
spring mounts.  Use a floor jack to support the axle, you will need to
be able to jack the axle up and down to do the removal and replacement.

With the car on blocks and the front wheels chocked I supported the axle
with a floor jack and then removed the u bolt nuts leaving the u bolts
hang on the axle.  I then lower the axle with the floor jack. Once the
spring is free of the axle I removed the front  and then the rear
mounting bolts, and the spring is off.

Bolts are located behind the seats - down through the floor and another
set up through the floor on the front spring mount, (four total.

I had to cut the old front bushings out with a grinder ( a hacksaw works
also) they were rusted in place.  To install the new front bushings,
(they are metal and rubber), I put them in the freezer and heated the
spring end with a propane torch, this makes them fit easily. (I think
this was Franks suggestion as well)

The rear shackle bushings are very easy, simply remove the old ones and
replace with new.

When I install the spring with the new bushings on the car, I bolt both
ends back up and then jack the spring into position at the u bolts with
the floor jack.  Make sure you have the u bolt plates and center spring
bushings in the correct places, and tighten it very firmly in place.

I checked mine about a week after installation and was able to tighten
them a little more.....

While you are under there you may want to check the rebound straps, mine
is a 74 and they are getting pretty shabby.

Hope this helps a little.

Kevin Valentine
63, 71, and 74 Midgets