Does it ever end ???

To: Spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Does it ever end ???
From: Mymgmidget <Mymgmidget@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 23:45:07 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Here it is British Car week and my 78 Midget is sitting under the cover
screaming for some help.  I rebuilt the motor (.40 over, new pistons, cam,
lifters, carb, etc)1100 miles ago.  Took care breaking it in. changing the oil
every 250 miles.  Never exceeded 3500 rpms.  Coming home from work last week
(80 deg). I noticed the temp gauge running between 12 and 2 o'clock.  When I
slowed down into traffic, the temp gauge went back to 12 o'clock.  The next
day, I started it, went about 1/4 mile and puff, white steam galore.  Shut it
down immediately before any overheating occured . An obvious blown head
gasket.  What would cause this ???  It wasnt overly overheated.  Could it be a
cheap head gasket from VB ??? (part of the kit ).  What should I check for
when I replace the head gasket ??  I was thinking the culprit may be the fan
clutch !!.  Any way to check without the car running ???

Any ideas would be appreciated !!
Gotta get the back running by the 7th for SICP show !!!