77 1500 Differential problems - I Think

To: "spridgets@auto.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 77 1500 Differential problems - I Think
From: Charles Schaal <cschaal@murlin.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 12:35:13 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
While putting our green machine back on the road for this
year, we thought the knock was one of the u-joints. It
isn't. May have to replace part of the gears because,
without looking, the mech is wondering if it is a "lost
tooth." The "knock" is consistent with the speed of the car,
not the motor. It is not real loud nor can it be felt in the car.

My question: if it is just a gear or two, am I better off
going to a mechanic with the tools and experience or should
I be better of just buying a new diff. while trading in the
core? Is there a dependable supply of "used" or rebuilt
ones?

My mech is a good man, will not tackle something beyond his
tools or experience so I will have to go "commercial" on
this one.

Chas