[Fwd: Alignments]

To: "spridgets@Autox.Team.Net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, Team Thicko List <team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [Fwd: Alignments]
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 1998 06:05:08 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>From my race buddy Tom Colby of Speedwell....
--- Begin Message ---
To: wsthompson@thicko.com
Subject: Re: Alignments
From: TColby9246 <TColby9246@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 01:27:10 EDT
For a Street hotrod, if you live in an area where you do alot of canyon
driving, shoot for about 1 to 1 1/2 degrees neg. camber and try zero toe. If
you just drive on the flat all the time, then 1 degree should be plenty.
On our racecars, where we run bias ply and not radials, we have found that any
more than 1 3/4 degree neg. camber does nothing more than where the inside
tire out quicker. Radial tires usually like to see a little more camber still
- about 2 degrees.
Generally, we run 1/16 to 1/8" TOE OUT. A little toe out gives us 2
advantages: more straight line stability and, the car turns in much quicker.
Try it, you'll like it! Bias ply tire pressure on 185/60x13's: about 21 lbs.
cold. Radials, try 24 lbs. cold.
Try to get you neg. camber increase either with offset upper and lower bushes,
our externally adjustable lower bushings or by bending the shock arms, adding
more than about 3/8" shim under the front shocks really screws up the front
roll center.
Love,
Tom Colby

--- End Message ---