Re: Exhaust Manifold vs. Header

To: "Randell Jesup" <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Manifold vs. Header
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 16:56:32 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
True, the momentum effect is not so great in a low pressure system (it
works phenomenally well using an aircraft engine bleed port, though), but
inertial extraction is still a factor.  To summarize what RJ is pointing
out, the shock in a pipe occurs at the end.  The pressure wave in
reflection turns negative instead of positive (the infamous Chester Smith
has great compressible flow writings as well if anyone cares to look
further).  The low pressure local eddys will cause some residual exhaust to
be drawn out of the combustion chamber.  The effect and geometry is
determined by the local speed of sound in the duct.  It is still the
suction caused by the shock that gives you the advantage.