Re: [Spits] Rear Suspension Question

To: Jim Cullen <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Rear Suspension Question
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 17:45:21 -0400
Cc: Spitfire Group <spitfires@autox.team.net>
The inner metal tube in the spring bushing is supposed to be clamped
tightly to the vertical link by the bolt.

To remove the bolt, I would do whatever would cause the least damage to the
other parts.  If you try to cut between the
vertical link and the spring, you will certainly wreck the spring bushing,
so make sure you have a replacement.
So make sure you have a replacement.  (The bushing might already be shot,
and causing the noise.)
Cutting the nut off with a Dremel might be tedious.

Try spraying some WD-40, etc. on the joint, then drive around and see if
the noise goes away.

Also try bouncing the rear bumper up and down and see if you can reproduce
the noise when the car is at rest.

I once had a funny bumping noise from the rear end, and it turned out that
the mounting eye had broken off one of the (original) rear shocks.
It was a bummer since the rear shocks still worked fine, the aftermarket
replacements were not as good.

Doug

Spitfires@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive