[Spits] Rear Suspension Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] Rear Suspension Question
From: "Jim Cullen" <ccullen16@cogeco.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 14:43:39 -0400
Happy Fatherbs Day to all the Dadbs out there...

Given that it is Fatherbs day I thought it was finally time to diagnose and
hopefully fix a tapping/rattling/metalic sound that seemed to be coming from
the passenger rear wheel area. Now I am half way through it I am at a bit of a
crossroads and thought before I plow ahead it might make sense to get some
informed advice beyond my own limited experience (which is limited to trial
and error as things have failed over the last 20 years).

First the history - The sound started last year and Jade (74 Spitfire) has
been in the garage on the DL since. I have learned over the years of owning
this car the hard way to not ignore these types of sounds from the rear end
(5-6 years ago the right rear axle sheared off mid flight leaving me with
three wheels instead of the required 4, but that is another story). Anyhow, I
had an inkling the offending noise might be coming from the rear leaf spring
(as I noted it seems to be a tapping type sound). So, I got the read end
jacked up and the rear leaf spring seems ok, except there seemed to be a bit
of an extra gap/space where the rear leaf spring connects to the vertical
link. I decided to try and tighten up the nyloc nut and bolt that attaches the
vertical link to the leaf spring.... after 3-4 minutes I realized I am not
making any headway in tightening it despite using a 5/8 spanner @ one end and
a 11/16 ratchet on the other. I then decided to remove the nut and bolt with
the aim of replacing the bolt/nyloc nut. Unfortunately after another 2-3
minutes I realize that despite the nut seeming to turn I am not making any
progress. After some deductive reasoning I am thinking that the nyloc nut is
stripped on the bolt. Now to R and R I am thinking that I will need to cut out
the bolt/nut.

Questions:

1) What is the easiest way to cut out this bolt/nut b i) using a hacksaw and
cutting between the link and the end of the leaf spring? ii) use a dremel to
cut off the bolt/nut @ the nut end?
2) If this bolt/nut is not snug, is there a reasonable chance that this (and
the corresponding gap/looseness) was the source of the
tapping/rattling/metalic sound from the rear end?

Opinions appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Spitfires@autox.team.net