[Spits] Brown Houndstooth Fabric (miata seats)

Subject: [Spits] Brown Houndstooth Fabric (miata seats)
From: growe58 at hotmail.com (Greg Rowe)
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:25:41 -0400
I think it depends.  There are at least two ways to mount
Miata seats - some folks build brackets to adapt the Miata
seat mounts to the spit floor holes.  Alternatively, you can
flatten out the Miata seat rails and drill the rears to
match the spit floor holes (the fronts already line up).
That lowers the seat over the brackets.

In addition, you can easily modify the seat foam to sit lower.
Finally if you have long legs, the Miata seatpan needs to
be modified (read: have a go at it with an angle grinder)
so the seat will go all the way back.

Overall, I sit maybe an inch higher than before - but a large
part of that was probably due to my spitfire seats (which
were original) had probably as much seat foam inside my
vacuum cleaner in the form of foam dust and brown crumbly
stuff as actual foam remaining in the cushion.

I have to curve my spine a little and in some situations
the convertible top will contact my head but overall the
increase in comfort is worth it.  I'm 6 foot and will never
peacefully co-exist with a spitfire in complete luxurious
comfort but I think the Miata seats are an upgrade.  YMMV.
(Standing invitation to anyone in the SE Pennsylvania area
who is considering the swap and wants to sit in them before
committing).

Sorry to hijack the original thread. I'm intrigued by your
idea Dan as I am looking to do something with my Miata seats from
a visual perspective as well as the covers are a) worn and
b) black which doesnt really go with my tan interior.
Unfortuneatly I don't think my budget extends to custom covers
at this point.  I like your idea, though, and think the
Miata seats would look quite good with houndstooth in the
inserts.  If you find a source, would you mind posting it?

Greg Rowe