[Spits] Spitfire Head

To: teamx <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] Spitfire Head
From: Roger Elliott <elliottr@rmi.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:12:18 -0600
Hi,
I have an 80 Spitfire that I am thinking about taking the head off so I
can bump the compression to somewhere around 9.0 - 9.5 from the stock 7.5.

I rebuilt the lower end several years ago, but did not touch the head as
it was judged to be in fine shape and I did not have spare money at the
time.  I am pretty sure the head is stock, but is there a way to verify
that before taking the head off?

I know that the only way to tell for sure is to measure the volume with
the head off, but I would hate to take the head off, then find out it
was already at 9.0 compression. So I would like to sort of confident
that there was a good reason for me to take the head off.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott