Re: [Spits] Spitfire Differentials

To: <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spitfire Differentials
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 22:30:16 -0700
The early Spit Differentials as well as the Herald ones have 6 mounting
studs because they have a clamping plate on top of the spring instead of
that ridiculous rocker box which can only use 4 studs.  The Rotoflex diffs
also have 6 studs.

The Herald and other early diffs have a drain plug at the bottom.  This was
eliminated in later ones I assume to save a couple of bucks.  Some
industrious lads have tapped that boss and added a plug (a good idea in my
opinion.

The main difference in diffs that fit Spitfires in the size of the input and
output flanges.  The early ones and Herald diffs have a smaller flange.  The
later ones have the same size flange as the GT6 uses.

If you have a diff with 6 studs and larger flanges it is most likely from a
GT6.  To be sure you can check the serial number.

If it begins with FC, It came from a round tail Spit.
Of it has FH, it is a later Spit.
If it starts with the latter G, it is from a Herald.
If it starts with the letter K, it is from a GT6.

Joe