Re: [Spits] Door mirrors and A post seals

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, sagreenwood@att.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Door mirrors and A post seals
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 00:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
On my car, the edge of the window class goes sort of between the two seals.
This arrangement works well, helping to keep the glass from vibrating in and
out.

I replaced the longer seal about 15 years ago, and the shorter seal is
original (but getting a bit ratty).

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

--- On Mon,
5/18/09, Stuart Greenwood <sagreenwood@att.net> wrote:

> From: Stuart
Greenwood <sagreenwood@att.net>
> Subject: [Spits] Door mirrors and A post
seals
> To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> Date: Monday, May 18, 2009, 12:20 AM

I got a set of the Tex door mirrors
> from TRF. I really don't like the way
they
> attached to the door or the way the  mirror stem
> attaches to the
mounting
> plinth.  I can overcome the first problem by bolting
> through the
door metal
> rather than using the plastic plugs but I can't really
> modify
the way the stem
> mirror mounts. Has anybody with  has these mirror had
issue with the mirror
> stem either falling off the plinth or being
inadvertenly
> knocked off by a
> passerby? The mounting seems very weak to
me.
> All the catalogues show a seal which goes around the entire
> door
opening
> right up to the top of the A post. Then there is a separate
> A post
seal. The
> seals I got have pretty big round hollow rubber seals. When
put the door
> opening seal on it touches the window glass more or less

rendering the A post
> seal superfluous. Are you supposed to cut off the
rubber
> seal from the door
> opening seal where is goes up the A post and
then put the A
> post seal on.
> There sure doesn't look ike there is room for
both
> I appreciate any advice
>
> Stuart Greenwood
> 71 MKIV Spit and 71