Re: [Spits] Exhaust Manifold '78

To: Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Exhaust Manifold '78
From: Greg Rowe <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 21:59:22 -0400
An earlier 1500 (or even 1300 I believe) manifold will bolt right

up to the engine but you have to replace the exhaust pipe as

well.  The cat won't bolt to the older manifold as the bolt

pattern is smaller.

If you decide to go with another cat manifold make sure you

have the brace on the pipe at the bellhousing.  This helps support

the extra weight of the cat and prevent the cracking (although

no guarantees).

Changing the manifold is fairly straightforward although tedious.

The intake and exhaust manifolds come off together and you

should replace the gasket.  The bolts underneath the manifold

are the worst as you can only turn them about a half of a flat

at a time with an open end wrench.  Do them first so at least

you don't have the weight of the manifold making them even

tougher to turn.

When reassembling, be careful that the manifold clamps don't

spin out of position as you tighten the bolts.

Sorry I cant help with parts.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe

> From: paulfmeyer@msn.com
> To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 13:53:36 -0400
> Subject: [Spits] Exhaust Manifold '78
>
> Getting my '78 spitfire 1500 ready for spring and the exhaust manifold is
> cracked - again.
>

> Anyone have advice on replacing this item? I put a Weber DGV on several
years
> ago, and figured I'd replace the exhaust manifold eventually. Seems like
the
> Stainless 4 into 2 into 1 header is a good option, but fitting it is
> challenging I've heard.
>

> I'd prefer to use another cast iron exhaust manifold, but can I get one
> without all the threaded ports for the EGR, etc? does an earlier year
> manifold direct swap?
>

> Seems to crack at stress point above the mount to the catalytic converter.
>
> BTW, my converter is cosmetic - last time i had it apart, it looked like
the
> previous owner had filled the Cat with lava rocks from a gas grill.
>

> Two questions - first, does anyone have a stock exhaust manifold for sale
that
> would fit? Second, anyone have any web pages showing thier efforts at
> replacing the manifold?
>

> Paul F. Meyer Home Phone: 781-551-8574 Cell Phone: 781-801-3170 e-mail:
> paulfmeyer@msn.com

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail..
http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutoria
l_QuickAdd1_052009