Re: [Spits] clutch hydraulics query

To: <jimmuller@rcn.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] clutch hydraulics query
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:53:55 -0700
The clutch master is identical to the brake master on early Spits (except
the brake master has a larger reservoir).  The relief mechanism is simply
that the piston has to come all the way back to its resting position.  This
allows the line to bleed back into the reservoir and the pressure
dissipates.

So it this is not happening, something is restricting it.  Could be that
something is worn inside the master cylinder or the petal is being
restricted in some way.

If it is the master, it is not all that expensive to rebuild it unless the
bore is extremely worn or pitted.  Mechanical restrictions are probably much
easier to fix.

When I experienced this in my brake system, it was caused by my inattention
to detail when I added the Tilton brake bias system.  I had to build new
rods and did not allow enough play to let the piston come to the normal
resting position.  A little grinding resolved the problem very quickly.

Joe