[Spits] stick shift play mystery solved

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spits] stick shift play mystery solved
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:14:43 +0000
I swore I sent a msg to this list on Sunday, but several digests have gone by
without my message. Anyways. Last Sunday, I take out the interior pieces to get
to my recently rebuilt transmission, to find out why I have forward/bkwd play
when shifting.

Well, after I got the cover off, the problem was quite obvious. The 2 bolts on
the flange plate that go to the "ball" section of the stickshift were quite
loose. About 1/3 of an inch of thread was hanging out of the bolts. No wonder
it had so much play. That settles it then. I'm using Loctite on those 2 bolts.
Anyone know off hand what the torque of those 2 bolts should be? Obviously I
didn't use enough the first time, for they have vibrated loose.