[Spits] Clutch resolution

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>, "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] Clutch resolution
From: "Bill Gingerich" <bill@gingerich.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 23:02:20 -0500
Greetings, All!

A couple of weeks ago I had posted about the clutch problem I was
experiencing with my '74 Spit.  I suspected that I'd lost the clutch arm
pivot pin, and had tried to replace it with a bolt without removing the
gearbox.  Several of you suggested that perhaps the arm wasn't positioned
properly when I installed the bolt.  You were absolutely correct in your
analysis.  I was finally able to get the gearbox out of the car this last
weekend.  The bolt missed the arm pivot hole completely.  Once I got the
bolt back out, and everything lined up I was able to put the bolt in
correctly.  With the gearbox back in, the clutch works as it should.  It's
amazing how well you can fix something when you can actually see what you're
fixing.

One last comment:  This is the first time I've tried taking the gearbox out
of the car.  What a pain!  The worst thing is I get to do it again this
winter when I do the OD conversion.  I hope to have help then.

Thanks again to all for the help!  You folks are great.

Bill Gingerich #133

Newalla, OK

'74 Spitfire Lazarus that actually drives again