Re: TR:Spitfire - Wheels/Studs/Nuts & Questions

To: Shane Sizemore <c0ssizem@yahoo.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR:Spitfire - Wheels/Studs/Nuts & Questions
From: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 20:10:52 -0800 (PST)
Couple of issues:
1) Diamond Racing Wheels use a somewhat unique 45-degree seat, so you
pretty much HAVE TO use their lug nuts with their wheels.
2) You can easily upgrade to 7/16" studs (several articles on the
conversion found through Google).  The correct stud replacement is
available from AutoZone - made for a '74 Mercury Capri front, IIRC.

Now, whether the threads on the Mercury studs will work with the DRW
lugnuts . . . I dunno.

BTW, factory Spit/GT6 lug threads are 3/8"x20.  The only Triumph wheels
that are hub centric are the splined wire wheels.

I may still have a pair of Shelby 500 alloys that are 6.5" x 13" and I
know I have some 5.5" x 13" of the same slotted mag look.

M D "Doc" Nugent - www.carcentric.com
Seattle area

--- Shane Sizemore <c0ssizem@yahoo.com> wrote:
> . . . I am looking at Diamond Wheels
> (Only option in those sizes I can find and Panasport
> does not offer 13x7 for street use, race only which
> means $$$).
>
> 1) What size studs are factory?
>
> 2) Are stock wheels Hub Centric or Lug Centric?
>
> 3) What size is the factory lug nut?
>
> The reason I ask is, the Diamond wheels are LUG
> centric (and I "think" the Spitfire is HUB Centric).
> They only offer a 7/16 stud hole in the 4 on 3.75"
> pattern. So, I dont think I can use a tappered factory
> lug nut with these Lug Centric Wheels, I think I need
> MAG style lugs for the LUG centric wheel.
>
> But, I want to keep my factory studs for sure. As far
> as lugs, I dont care if I have to buy new ones as long
> as the marriage works correctly with my factory studs.

. . .

===     http://www.vtr.org