Re: overdrive

To: spitlist@cox.net, ljvaughan@pldi.net, jimmuller@rcn.com
Subject: Re: overdrive
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 17:33:31 EST
In a message dated 12/31/2006 10:57:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
spitlist@cox.net writes:

I  seriously doubt it is a neutral safety switch.  There never was one on  any
Spit.  Since the box was a non OD originally, I would be inclined  to
believer that the extra switch was included in the mechanism that was  added
for the OD.  It is most likely the remains of the backup lights  circuit for
a car that originally had no switch mounted in the rear of the  top plate.

I Bet Andy Mace can come up with a definitive  answer!

==AM==
Geez, first day of the New Year and I've already broken one resolution --  to
have ALL the answers! :-)

I'm with Joe in that I don't ever recall any such safety switch.

Jim Muller suggested that "Lots of cars had buzzers with switches on the
belts and in
the seats; the Feds required it, after all.  But I've  never heard of any
that ran it through the shifter too.  Why do that, f'r  all love? That's crazy."

Crazy? Sure! But so were the various seat belt buzzer/lamp reminders and  the
methods of making them work. My guess is that this setup incorporates the OD
lockout AND seat belt buzzer switches (that usually activated a light and
buzzer  in any forward gear UNLESS the belts were properly fastened). Seems to
me
that  most all-syncho three-rail gearboxes would've had the reverse light
switch in  the top cover.

But that's all conjecture, since I don't seem to have any factory  literature
that conclusively proves my theory. ;-)

--Andy   Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not  so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with   wings.
-- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6)  and
Triumph Herald Database at its new URL: _http://triumph-herald.us_
(http://triumph-herald.us/)

===     http://www.vtr.org