RE: Camshaft removal

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Camshaft removal
From: "David" <popeye444@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 21:51:53 -0600
James,

I had a similar frustration with mine.  Will the distributor cog move a bit
but just won't come out all the way?  If so be sure the distributor bracket
is removed.  I'm talking about the two nuts that go on the studs from the
block that hold the distributor  bracket on.  If you remove the distributor
without removing this bracket you WILL be able to get to the cog but it
WON'T come out and you won't be able to remove the camshaft.  I don't think
you have to remove the oil pump.  If I remember right it just fits into the
bottom of the cog you are trying to remove and won't interfere with the
camshaft if you can get the cog out.  If it's just plain stuck and won't
move at all then you have a bigger problem (rust, damage?) perhaps someone
can offer a solution.

Also make sure all the lifters are removed.  The cam won't go anywhere if
they are still in.

David Gates

===     http://www.vtr.org