RE: GT6-TR Gearbox conversion longish

To: "Cameron Rooke" <beaker211@rogers.com>,
Subject: RE: GT6-TR Gearbox conversion longish
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 20:45:57 -0500
I am on the other side of the fence as you.  Unfortunately, my GT6-O/D
box has been the weakest point of my spit-6.  I have gone through
2nd/3rd gear circlips, needle bearings and now a mainshaft, laygear,
synchos and other parts.  I have contemplated, a replacement non-triumph
gearbox, replacing the engine and gearbox with another combination, the
problem is I finding it a very hard time justifying after one rebuild,
one dis-assembly and $1300cdn to the family another $600usd in parts
then the reassembly.  In talking with others, it seems the 2nd/3rd gear
circlips seem to be a weak spot.

Without the O/D I find the overall experience not very good, I guess it
is the same for the spitfire gb's as well.  The engines rev high at
highways speeds.  Who knows a perfectly good working O/D unit may be
coming up for sale soon :-(

David Templeton
'59 TR3a
'74 Spit-6