RE: GT6-TR Gearbox conversion longish

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GT6-TR Gearbox conversion longish
From: "Jeremy Kinney" <kinneyjr@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:44:30 -0500
All this talk about the weak GT6 transmission makes me wonder if the English
Ford Type 9 5-speed conversion offered by Quantum Mechanics would also be a
plus regarding durability.  John Esposito gave me a reference who had made
the conversion in a Spitfire, but I wonder how they have held up in GT6s.
I'm seriously considering it, but it is not cheap.

The TR6 conversion discussed on the Triumphs list seems like an alternative,
too.  A detailed description would be a great addition to the VTR (or NASS)
tech pages.

Having said all of this, and I hope I am not being redundant regarding the
list archives, but what is the collective experience of the GT6 owners out
there with their transmissions?  Is it just something that you know that you
will be rebuilding multiple times?  Anybody have a spare laygear? ;)

I once saw one of those Rat-Fink type cartoons of a GT6 eating a
transmission on eBay, which I should have bought!

TIA,
Jeremy Kinney
1971 GT6 Mk 3
KF3987L