Pop-Pop -> Black Poof = too rich?

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Pop-Pop -> Black Poof = too rich?
From: Kirk Crawford <kirkbcrawford@kirkanddonna.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 08:46:53 -0800
My usual driving of my spit is generally short trips (4 miles) at relatively
low speeds.  I have a 1968 Spitfire Mk III with a Weber DGV carb.  I know
that the valves need to be adjusted on the car.  I noticed a few days ago
that the car ran-on for a few seconds after shutting it down.  Well,
yesterday I took the spit on a much longer trip (40 miles) on the freeway
down to my parent's house.  After getting up to speed on the freeway for a
few miles, (I love the electric OD Trans I have), I was driving along and
heard in quick succession two loud pops come from under the hood.  I
experienced a momentary drop in power while the pop's were happening.  I
looked in the rear view mirror and saw a big puff of black smoke come out.
I continued on my drive and the car ran fine the rest of the way and had no
problems on the way back.

Was this caused by a too rich mixture?  Could it have been some build-up on
the plugs that fell off at speed and popped as it went out the tailpipe?
What do you think?

--
Kirk Crawford
kirk@kirkanddonna.com