Re: 80 Spitfire hardtop

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 80 Spitfire hardtop
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:37:16 +0000
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006, at around 19:56:51 local time, Roger Elliott
<elliottr@rmi.net> wrote:
>I have two questions about Spitfire hardtops.  There is a tie down bar
>that bolts to the convertible top bracket behind the doors.  What is
>the size of that bolt?  I am pretty sure it is 5/16 but I tried a
>coarse thread and a fine thread and neither seemed to work. Of course,
>it could be that the threads are just messed up.

Dear Roger,

I can't be sure off the top of my head, but 5/16" UNF sounds about right
to me.

>Also, is there supposed to be a piece of trim that goes along the back,
>bottom edge?  My top has what almost looks like snaps - but they are
>smaller- on the outside edge, but I can't figure out what would go
>there unless it is a piece of trim that slides over them.

Good guess.   That is exactly what goes there - a piece of chrome trim.
These are difficult to track down.   It took me a couple of years to
find one, and then I had to pay an enormous amount of money for it.
Unless you are obsessed with originality (as I am), don't worry about
it.   It is purely decorative.

ATB
--
Mike
Ellie  - 1963 White Triumph Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV

===     http://www.vtr.org