MKII exhaust

To: "Spitfire List \(E-mail\)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: MKII exhaust
From: "Tim Benner" <tbenner@woh.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:48:02 -0500
When I bought my Spitfire I asked the owner, "Is that a Monza exhaust?"  He
said, no it was something he welded up.  And indeed it is.  It looks great
and sounds nice.  The trouble is, when I went to bolt on my new camber
compensator i noticed (again) that the exhaust splits aft of the diff which
means that there is a pipe running directly under the diff.  No good can
come from that so it is time to replace the whole system.  Pacesetter makes
a Monza for the MKIII but not MKII.  Has anyone tried to fit one of these to
a MKII?  On paper it looks like a new front pipe wouldn't be too hard to
make but real life is often very different.  The alternatives are a stock
stainless system from Spitbits or welding something up again.

Can I get some expert thoughts on exhaust?

The back pipe of the header is also getting rather flexible.  I have another
one of those so that shouldn't be a problem.  Again, any thoughts on
treating it before putting it on?  Paint? The top half will be wrapped but
I'd like to keep the bottom pipes from rusting too quickly.  The only
replacement I saw for this was stainless for $600!

Thanks to all.

Tim Benner
1965 MKII

===     http://www.vtr.org