Re: Paint prices?? (Part 2)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Paint prices?? (Part 2)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:46:54 -0500
At 03:42 PM 11/4/2005 -0800, you wrote:

>He suggested a PPG epoxy primer (grey), catalyzed, so I asked how much for
>a gallon, figuring that it would eventually be used over this entire
>project.  He came back with a quote of almost $200, for the paint and
>catalyst!

Depending on where you are, that's about right.  I think I paid $160 for
PPG 2K grey primer about 2 yrs ago.

However, see if you can't find a DuPont vendor.  They have come out with
a less expensive line of paints called NASSON, as compaired to their
Centari, and Chroma paints.

I just paid $100 (and some change) for a gal. of polyeurathine primer
and hardener in the NASSON line.  The Centari line started at $160 for
the primer.

Their top coat - single stage - was about $150 for a gal. of color, a
gal of reducer and a quart of hardener.  Unfortunately, the don't have
the color in the NASSON line for my Bricklin.  The quoted me $250 / gal.
just for the color, no reducer or hardener.  That will be another $100.

I have some polyester primer, that I want to try and paint some scrap
metal with and put it out in the yard to see if it rusts.  But I've been
told it will, I know lacquer will, and so will the self etching primers.

When I started stripping the roof of my 95 voyager, the 1st day I got
about 2/3 of it done.  But then my compressor motor died.  So I treated
the roof with DuPont 5717 metal prep (similar to phospho) and called it
quites for the day.  The next day, I went to get the motor fixed and it
started raining.  Of course I ended up with a coat of rust on all the
bare metal.  Finally got back to the roof the following weekend.
Continued sanding the paint that I hadn't gotten off, then hit the rust
with a knotted wire wheel on a 4" grinder, then finally sanded the entire
roof.  Knocked off most of the rust, except in the heavily rusted (where
the paint had been flaking off for the last 2 years) areas.  Treated it
again with 5717 and shot the NASSON polyeurathine primer.  Then the van
went to Cincinatti.  I know they ran into a couple of good rain storms
and fog on the way up.  It's due back Sunday or Monday, and I'll see
how the primer held up.

But especially with you being in CA that price isn't that far off target.

John

Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan