O/D 78 Spit Question

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: O/D 78 Spit Question
From: "Mike Chmura" <mchmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 11:37:45 -0400
Good Morning,

There appears to be an issue with tranny fluid (30W ND oil) coming out
of, what I think is some sort of breather valve, located on the 'top
plate', which sits on the 'top cover' in the front of the tranny close
to the engine side of the tranny.  I've been losing tranny fluid (oil)
from this breather thing over the course of last year's driving season
to where I'm down to just a pint of oil.  This O/D tranny was
professionally rebuilt and installed about two years ago.  Has anyone
had similar issues with this breather on the top plate escape valve
spitting oil, which ends up running down the side of the tranny and
drips on the exhaust pipe and burns white smoke?

In preparation for this year's driving season I drained the tranny,
since I had the tunnel off anyway.   How much oil should the O/D tranny
take?  1 quart or more?  Or should I not worry about it and just fill it
until it stop pouring out the side filler hole?

Thx in advance for everyone's help.

Mike Chmura