The incredible sticking throttle

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: The incredible sticking throttle
From: Spitfire 1500 <s1500@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:19:39 -0500
I just seem to be a target for sticking-throttle related problems today.

To recap, I had the old throttle linkage from my Stromberg mated onto my
Weber DGV. It uses that arc-shaped throttle thing, and I can't find the
original sadly.

Thing is(dunno who was the ad wizard who thought of this), the L-shaped
mounting for the choke cable rubbed against it.

After numerous file-downs and some replacing of smaller washers(the ones
  on the cotter-pin side of the throttle cable end), I thought I fixed
it. No touching of the two assemblies at all. Yay, right?

I drive it out for a few minutes and on a few occasions, the car idled
at aronud 1500(dunno, speedometer hasn't worked in a while), or worsely,
it floors it by itself. A little push on the gas, and it's fine.

So I did some experiments of pulling on the accelerator cable no
differently than the pedal would, paying close attention to see if the
assembly rests on its idle speed screw. 1 time out of 10 there was a gap
when I let go. 1 time out of 20 there was an even bigger gap. Can you
tell I'm a QA engineer?

So I disconnect the cable at the carb, and just pull on the assembly by
hand, simulating revving it. No stickage at all.

So that boils down to the question, what's the best lube I should put
around the (new) accelerator cable? Guy at the bike store said no to
wd-40(evaporates), and no to grease(colder weather makes it thicker).

I get that part fixed, this car's ready for the spring/summer.