2d gear saga - resolved. - long

To: "CARS nass@yahoogroups." <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: 2d gear saga - resolved. - long
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 19:41:47 -0500
Well after three time of pulling the tranny over the
last 2 weeks, I'm finally happy with the way it works.
Hey Otto..remember how noisy it was when you rode
in Big Red? Even with the tunnel out, you hear the exhaust
now more than the tranny!

Of course a web page will follow, but just a bit of info here
as to what was causing (had to be causing?) the second gear
crunching.

I knew the tip of the mainshaft was a bit worn (grooved)
for the last 1000 miles or so. (since it's new bearings and seals
last summer when I pulled it)  It was pulled this time specifically
to replace the main shaft, and install the n.o.s. input shaft
and tip bearing I'd been collecting up since then.  I was assuming
the noise and crunching was do to the slop in the shaft/bearing fit.

Well upon pulling it the third time,. I realized I had re-assembled the
1st/2nd shift hub backwards the second time around.!  This time
I also increased the spring pressure by stacking in a second 0-80
washer (now two each) under the detent springs. It takes about
25 lbs  (spec is 19lbs) to have the shift hubs slip now.  Man what
a difference!  I can almost power shift without any crunching now.
So what was the problem?

Well I have to believe it was actually two fold. The grooved
mainshaft tip, bearing and input shaft, had enough slop in it to
literally let the assembly (on the bench) hang at about 20 degrees
off plane.  The good shafts and new bearing, had less than 2
degrees of slop max. (pics to show the comparison will be posted)

Well while I had the tranny out this third time, I decided to go
ahead and pull the flywheel and engine back plate, and replace
the rear main seal.  While I had that all apart I decided to check
the input shaft tip bush in the end of the crank. WHOA! It came
out WAY TOO EASY.  After placing the bush on the shaft tip
on the bench, I realized there was about 1/32" of slop in the fit
of the bush to crank shaft, and about 1/6" of play between bush
and input shaft tip!    The outside diameter of the bush had a
bunch of nail set punch marks in it like some one had tried to
expand it's size to make it fit snuggly in the crank shaft. So after
rigging up a holder for the bush, laying out the input shaft, old
mainshaft and bearing on the bench I realized the bush must have
been letting the clutch flop around enough to bend against the
mainshaft tip bearing which wore the groove in the tip of the
main shaft.

I know... clear as mud right...the web page will make more sense
when you see the photos.   Anyway...the original detent spring
pressure had been measured last summer when I put it together.
They were at about 19lbs even with one washer each under
each spring and ball.  I have to assume, that under load, the slop
in the tip bearing and input shaft bush, was messing with the mesh
of the gears against the laygear, making the hub drag, so it would
not stuff the synchro up tight against the gears before the hub
would slip past the ball detents.  Well now with almost no
freeplay in that tip bearing, a new input bush in place, and the 25 lbs
detent setting, the sucker shifts beaUTIFULLy! Perhaps just
a bit snug, but not notchy or sticky.

Yes... I'm one happy camper!

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com