I am stuck!!!

To: "'Spitlist'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: I am stuck!!!
From: "Martin Pearce" <dungey@pearcem95.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 21:43:05 +0100
Need the invaluable help of the list.

Having a few problems with the running of my '63 Spit 4.  In the garage she
runs fine and is free revving throughout the range.

Take her out on the road and put on some pressure, I get some hesitancy in
all gears.  It seems like we are not running on all cyclinders, cough
splutters etc.  Back in the garage, all is fine.

I thought I might have a sticking float valve in the full chamber.  Reason
for this is that at one point I had fuel coming out over the chamber.  Took
it apart and no more leaks.

Had a spare carb, old, in the garage.  Put the chamber lid from that one on
and she ran like a dream for the first 10 minutes or so and then reverted
back to the same.

Have been driving around with fuel filler cap undone, so its not that.
Sparks are clean with no problem.  Timing appears ok.  Have new distributor
cap and leads.

A couple of suggestions have been a fault coil, some rubbish in the fuel
tank, sticking valves.

Any ideas on where to start next?

Cheers

Martin