Squeals and other mysteries

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Squeals and other mysteries
From: Dale Osterndorf <osternd@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 08:53:41 -0400
I wanted to thank everyone that responded to me on these issues.  It
looks like the brace for the steering support is suppose to attach to one
of the bolts from the radio console.  It was a bit confusing as the brace
was pushed up toward the top of the dash and looked as if it attached to
some mystery part.  Also, the bolt that this attaches to is too short for
the console and the brace.  Fixing that will go a long way in securing
the steering.

It sounds like the general consensus on the brake squeal is that the
missing shims are the cause.  I have those on order and look forward to
having the looks of the car getting attention (though that might be a bad
thing!) instead of the noise when I stop.  If that doesn't completely
cure it, I'm going to try the anti-squeal compound.

Thanks again for the help.  Now, anyone know anything about
transmissions????

Dale O
'78 Spitfire
'76 TR6