SU's on a GT6

To: <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: SU's on a GT6
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 18:51:41 -0400
Well...someone please kick me. (IN THE HEAD!) I guess I'm
rolling a long here a bit too quickly...or chalk it up to too many late
nights.  I should go back and visit some of my OWN web pages.   :-)

The GT6 is now up and running with a pair of AUD604's (HS4's) running
The problem before was my own stupidity.  I had changed up to a couple
of needle ranges to run some  tests, forgetting the initial dimensions of
those
2-4sets of needles are smaller (richer) on the first two stages (idle).
So when I had initially adjusted the nuts to set the jet heights for initial
idle
O2 readings.... To get them in spec...  (14.7+/- .3)  the jets ended up
flush
with the bridges. ( I didn't know that till I pulled the dashpots and
pistons
today)  Leaning out the idle, will in essence lean out the entire range. So
at the upper rpms,  everything was fine (as mentioned before). If the idle
had been richer...the whole range would have been richer.

Now the damn thing will idle easily all the way down to  400 rpm.
WAY too low...but it'll run smoothly (it's now set at around 850).

Just goes to show ...just how easy it can be sometimes to miss the
obvious.  At an idle, I'm now reading 14.3 (just ever so slightly rich)
which is fine.

While performing the standard needle test acceleration checks... when
I get to 20 mph, I shift from 1st, to 4th gear...and put the peddle to the
floor until I finally hit 50 mph. The wideband 02 meter will go to around
12.5-13 and stay there until I let up!  Pulls like a freight train...plenty
of torque I've NEVER felt before with the ZS carbs.

Now.... should I even bother with the second manifold that already
has the HS6's mounted??  HHmm.....  maybe I should leave well enough
alone. Going to HS6's on a mild 2 liter will probably only kill the low
end torque, giving me only more at the top end.

The HS4 tests.... cruising at 80 mph.... the WB02 is reading 15 even.
That should do well as far as mpg ins concerned.  I also noticed...coming
off the ramp to a stop light.... that the temp was staying a bit lower as
well
(the temp gauge needle just barely on the 'N')  So I'm fairly confident the
ever so slight lean reading (15) is not going to burn a piston.

I think you all know me well enough now.... that you all know I'll just
'wacked'
enough to continue 'screwing around' with it. We'll see how a couple of
hundred miles go over this week before I touch it again.
.... yes.... one happy camper here.   8-)

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com