speedometer drive pinion

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: speedometer drive pinion
From: "Gary Hutton" <ghutton@sigecom.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:35:36 -0500
I just installed my backup transmission in my 76 1500 and noticed that my
speedometer readings are off - it now shows 50mph at about 3700 rpms where
50mph used to be at about 3000 rpms with my old transmission.  I'm wondering
if the new one came from a post-75 Midget and if the speedo drive pinion and
/or drive gear might be different. The serial number on the new one starts
with a "C" - no "F" in sight.  Anybody dealt with this?  Did the Midgets use
different size tires maybe?  And finally, can you swap out the drive pinion
without taking the rear housing apart?

TIA,

Gary Hutton
Newburgh, IN