RE: Questions about engine rebuild and machine shop work

To: "'Chris King'" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <w.lists@verizon.net>,
Subject: RE: Questions about engine rebuild and machine shop work
From: "Gene Eighmy" <w4eae@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:58:31 -0500
Not all Cylinder Heads are alike... There are several different cylinder
heads for the 1500.  Changing out to Flat-top pistons with a
low-compression USA Head will give you about ~8.2:1.  I ended up
skimming about .060 of my head to get over 9:1 compression and others
have told me they skimmed .100 to get 9.5:1.

If you have your head off, you can see some cast marks that look like
they shouldn't be there... I believe Triumph was making modifications to
the head height so they could pass US emissions.  I have before and
after pictures of the cast marks on my web site:
http://webpages.charter.net/eighmy/spitfire/index.htm

Also, you have to read John Davies' excellent article on raising
compression:
http://www.totallytriumph.net/spitfire/skimming_your_head.shtml

Also, Paul Tegler has some info on non-1500 engines at:
http://teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spitheads.htm