THE RUSULTS Re: Need help from those electrical engineers!

To: <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: THE RUSULTS Re: Need help from those electrical engineers!
From: "mikeross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:01:27 -0400
Thanks to all who have responded to my request for ideas on this problem.  I
just got back from the garage and noted the following:

1.  My memory was incorrect about the connections.  The "constant-on" wire
to the CirKit Boss Fuse Center is not from the brake light wire as I had
indicated.  It comes directly off of the starter solenoid,  however, I do
not have a separate fuse between there and the Fuse Center.  As Gene Eighmy
suggested in his excellent email, I'll add one.   The "ignition-hot", is not
from the fuel gauge wire.  It is wired to the power in wire coming into the
heater fan motor.

2.  After reviewing the wiring diragram for my 1970 GT6+,  I see that all
the wiring for the systems that were affected come from the top fuse at the
original fuse box.  As I mentioned, the fuse had never blown, but John K.
had relayed this note:

>I would surmise you have a bad connection in the original fuse box. It can
>pass a small amount of current but no more - clean the fuses and
>connections. I was stopped one night in a GT6 Mk I with no rear lights
>showing, all the fuses looked perfect but a bit of jiggling around got it
>all working again, and that was an ex Californian car.
>John Kipping

3.  I wrapped some steel wool around a cotton tipped applicator and cleaned
all three fuse holders in the fuse box, followed by a compressed air and a
cleaning with some electric contact spray cleaner on a cotton applicator.

When I reconned the battery,  everything worked!  I turned on the heater
fan, cranked up the radio, flipped the turn signal, stepped on the brake
pedal, turned on the rear window defogger, and nothing quit working.   The
only thing I forgot to do was turn on the wiper moter.  All these things
were on the top fuse.

I'm sure glad I checked the easiest thing to correct first!

Mike Ross    http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross    updated 10/15/03
Wing Commander: Ohio Wing of the North American Spitfire Squadron (NASS)
'63 Triumph Spitfire
'66 Triumph Spitfire
'70 GT6+  (Maroon)
'70 GT6+  (Green)