Re: 6 cylinder spitfire?

To: doug@dougbraun.com, lvaughan@pldi.net, geevee@shaw.ca,
Subject: Re: 6 cylinder spitfire?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:52:30 EDT
In a message dated 4/20/2004 10:31:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doug@dougbraun.com writes:

> Couldn't help noticing:  The engine appears to have the fan attached to the
> front
> of the crankshaft instead of the water pump!

========

Uh, yeah, but that's where the fan usually goes on the GT6 motor. ;-)

Can't say as I'm overly impressed with the car in the eBay auction. It's a
real "Bitsa" car (bits of this, etc.....) with a body number quoted as the
VIN,
what quite possibly is some vintage "squaretail" Spit body with a GT6+ bonnet.
Never thought the two really went together, but at least the bonnet appears
to use appropriate mounts/pivots. Also, it looks to be a Spitfire chassis, and
I couldn't really tell if that means it has smaller Spitfire brakes front and
rear, etc., etc.

To the person who asked the original question about constructing a "Spitfire
6": This car is not a particularly good example of how to do it! What you've
heard is essentially true, though. The "easiest" way to make such a car is to
start with a GT6, remove the hatchback body tub, and transplant the Spitfire
body tub onto same. There's a whole lot more detail than that, but this method
gives you the appropriate and, in some cases, beefier drivetrain, suspension
and brake components that the six-cylinder motor really should have.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.