Re: setting timing, carb settings and a non-running Spit

To: Tim Schuh <tim@ugly.net>, SpitfireMailList
Subject: Re: setting timing, carb settings and a non-running Spit
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:47:37 -0400
At 06:41 PM 4/17/2004 -0500, Tim Schuh wrote:
>Even more important, are the pumps to specifically avoid?

All of them, in my opinion.  If your fuel pump is busted, simply replace it.

If the pump can be taken apart, you might be able to clean some
gunk out of the check valves.  If you remove it from the car, you
can at least test it by seeing how well it pumps air.

> I pumped the accelerator a few times to put a little more gas in the carb

SUs and Strombergs do NOT have accelerator pumps, and pumping the gas pedal
when the engine is not running has NO effect on anything.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit