RE: How to dispose of old silcone fluid?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How to dispose of old silcone fluid?
From: "Emiel Rorije" <emiel.rorije@terra.es>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 00:41:12 +0200
Puhlease!!!!
Silicone is not basically sand simply because both contain the atom
silicium! just like chlorine (the gas which you might know is pretty
harmful, used as a war gas in WW1) is not basically the same as kitchen salt
although both contain the atom(s) chlorine; or methanol (higly toxic) is
basically the same as ethanol (the drink we use as a socially accepted drug)
although both are 4alcohols4. Or your green car paint is basically the same
as the grass growing in your garden just because both are green. Please do
not throw chemicals like silicone or other brake fluids, oil etc. anywhere
where it can land (untreated) in our environment. Surely the place where
they take in used motor oil also takes in silicone fluid, old paint,
coolant, old batteries (car, but also from your walkman) etc. At least here
in Europe (talking from experience living in three countries so far -
Holland, Germany and Spain) this is the case.

I have seen earlier discussions here on how to burn used motor oil in your
backyard etc. which (as I think would be obvious to anyone) is not a safe
and sound option to dispose of that kind of stuff. If you want your milk
(and the rest of your food) to be free from potentially cancerogenic or even
mutagenic chemicals, than don4t spill those fluids anywhere where it can end
up in the groundwater, and eventually, in crops, dairy, meat etc. that you
eat.

If your own health, and the future health of the citizens of tomorrow do
concern you only a little bit, please spent some time on finding out how to
properly dispose of chemical waste. It will probably take less time than
sorting out where to get your next part for your car from (as cheap as
possible). For the record, burning in the backyard, pouring it out wherever
(not in MY backyard), pouring it down the sink, in the river, sea wherever
are NOT environmentally sustainainable solutions to a chemical waste
problem, however small you may think your amount of silicone fluid is.

This was the environmental chemist speaking (my daytime job), not the
spitfire enthousiast. Please excuse me, don4t want to come across too
(environmentally religious(  :-)
However, if anyone would be interested in the specific dangers of silicones
contact me of the list, I4ll be happy to explain.

Emiel
1979 Brooklands Green Spitfire 1500TC
Spain.