Re: driver's side lean & Porche Boxter

To: Tim Schuh <tim@ugly.net>
Subject: Re: driver's side lean & Porche Boxter
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 21:50:34 -0400
At 07:06 PM 4/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>Assuming it's not in the owners manual you take it to a dealership and pay
>their exhobitant prices or get reamed for the factory service manual.  I seem
>to have heard that Porsche in particular got fed up with sophomoric mechanical
>neophites attempting to do their own work and making the cars worse at
>Porsche's expense.

It's not just Porsche.  If I wanted to buy (legally) a factory service manual
for my '98 Subaru, I would have
to pay hundreds of dollars.  (But at least I would get a set of manuals that
covered about 10 model years.)

In contrast, when I bought an Acura in 1987, it came with an excellent service
manual.
The Acura dealers were also extremely good at stocking parts and generally
having an
owner-friendly parts counter.  I gave up trying to get parts from my local
Subaru dealer;
they never seem to actually stock anything, and they quote me exorbitant prices.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit