Re: driver's side lean & Porche Boxter

To: Chris King <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: driver's side lean & Porche Boxter
From: Tim Schuh <tim@ugly.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:06:04 -0500
Chris King wrote:
> You're probably right. I saw the Boxter Tuesday at the New York Auto
> show. It had a lid on both the front and the rear of the car, and
> neither accessed the engine. I wonder how you check the oil?

Assuming it's not in the owners manual you take it to a dealership and
pay their exhobitant prices or get reamed for the factory service
manual.  I seem to have heard that Porsche in particular got fed up with
sophomoric mechanical neophites attempting to do their own work and
making the cars worse at Porsche's expense.

> P.S. I've been following the drivers side lean discussion with
> considerable interest. Spridgets suffer the same malady, even though the
> chassis and suspension are completely different (monocoque, with
> semi-elliptic springs and a solid live axle).

Early RX-7's also have this 'problem' which is usually solved by
replacing the springs with ones that aren't 20+ years old.  The matter
is aggrevated by Mazda's design of putting more weight on the left side
of the car.  This is fine in a RHD world but here in the US they prefer
to have the steering wheel on the left.  FWIW, I learned how to drive on
the 'wrong' side of the road when my dad was stationed in Japan in the
80's.  When the Celica became FWD I was in Japan.  Right then I vowed
never to own one.  A friend of mine had a 1979 RX-7 that began the
addiction. :)

--
Tim Schuh
Network Primate